Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Primary Songs and All Those that We Love

For the last month, Abbie and I have been helping out in the primary. We have been teaching them the Primary 2010 Theme Song, I Know That My Savior Loves Me. The Senior Primary learned the song in about three weeks but it took about four weeks for the Junior Primary. Although Sunday was Fast Sunday, it was also Abbie and Spencer's last Sunday here, so we asked the Branch President if the Primary would be able to sing the intermediate hymn in Sacrament Meeting. Abbie was playing the keyboard and I sat on the front row doing the actions to the song to help the children sing. I have taken on a couple temporary "church callings." They weren't really callings that I received but that I took part in. When we went to the Temple for Branch Temple Day, I acted as the Young Women Leader helping the young women through the locker room, confirmation room, and the baptismal font. Now as a Primary Music Leader, I felt like the Primary Leaders that are in charge of the Primary Program that sit on the row showing pictures and doing actions as the children sing so that they remember the words.
Singing "I Know That My Savior Loves Me"


We were also able to teach the Senior Primary some other songs such as:
I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes
I am Trying to Be Like Jesus

The only songs that they ever sang, especially in the Junior Primary, are: 
I am a Child of God 
Popcorn Popping
Book of Mormon Stories
Sister Terry teaching the dance for the "Mighty Change" Program
that they will be performing the end of August in Accra 

We are going to miss the branch members here. We have grown close to many if not all of them. We are so grateful for their testimonies and the spiritual strength that they have given unto us. I really feel like this summer has so such a spiritual experience for me. FHE, Institute, Sunday Church Meetings, Branch Temple Trip, Baptisms, Seminary/Institute Graduation and other special meetings. Especially being surrounded by missionaries: Stephen Sr and Margaret are missionaries- they proselyte twice a week and attend the different branches throughout the district, Elder and Sister Terry, and the Full-time Missionaries- Elder Hicks and Elder A. 

During FHE this week Joey showed a slideshow that he had made of the pictures that we have taken since we have been here. I can't believe how fast these three months have gone. After the slideshow Margaret came out with two big bags that she gave to each of the couples. They gave us each a dress for the girls and a shirt for the boys, as a gift of gratitude for all that we have done. I was about to cry, I had to keep reminding myself that we have another week here. Abbie and Spencer left yesterday for Accra and will be leaving on Thursday. It was weird to watch them leave, I just kept thinking about how soon before we leave. I have met a lot of amazing people and it will be very hard to me to leave. Joey and I have set a goal to return here in 4 years. We have grown so much and are so grateful for all that we have learned and all the people we have met and grown to love.
Joey and Emily in our outfits from the Abu's
Spencer, Abbie, Stephen, Margaret, Gloria, Emily and Joey after FHE

No comments:

Post a Comment