Saturday, August 7, 2010

Teaching a Lesson and Learning a Lesson

As I have mentioned in some previous blogs we have craved some American foods especially sweets. We have made a couple of treats throughout the summer to satisfy our sweet-tooth. A couple weeks about Spencer, Abbie, Joey and I made Brigham Young's Buttermilk Doughnuts for two reasons: It was the 24th of July weekend so we felt that it was very fitting and we were craving doughnuts. They turned out delicious and the Abu's really enjoyed them, mainly the glazed ones, they didn't really enjoy the cinnamon sugar coated ones. We decided that we could make them again the next week because we still had quite a bit of flour left and they had tasted so good. After we had made them the second time Margaret Abu asked if I would show her how to make them. So this morning Sister Terry came over and we helped Margaret and Gloria make doughnuts. It was so much fun, I don't think either of them had used a rolling pin before. We had a lot of fun teaching them to make doughnuts. My favorite part was after we were done Margaret told Gloria that she needs to make them for her everyday. 

Another learning experience that I never expected to learn this summer is how to cut hair. I had helped my brothers cut their own hair with clippers before but their hair was the same length across their whole head. Then when I married Joey he has me cut his hair which he uses different sizes of guides with the clippers so that was a little more difficult. Well Sister Terry asked me a month ago to cut her hair because her husband didn't really like to do it and because she knew that I cut Joey's that I would be able to do hers. I began by using the clippers on the bottom of her hair and then using scissors to blend and layer the top. This made me so nervous, I have never cut women's hair before. I guess I did a decent job because she asked me to do it again before we leave, which I did again this morning. I admire cosmetologists, cutting hair makes me really nervous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment