Monday, July 26, 2010

Last Day of School and Ghanaian Dress

Originally to be posted July 24th


The only girl from our Group of 12 at Zion


Yesterday was Abbie and Emily's last day of teaching the ABC and All of Me Program. The original plan was to have our last day of classes on Wednesday but because of Joey and my surprise trip to Accra on Tuesday we had to cancel classes on Tuesday. Then on Thursday we finished at Presby but when we got to Zion the teachers told us that it wasn't a good day to come and teach and asked us to come the next day. Friday we woke up and went to Zion early and finished with our first Zion class and then we headed over to Presby. We had talked to the Head Master (Principal) and asked if our classes could perform the Letter Song for the rest of the school. He was so excited and so we went up there organized our two classes together and the rest of the school came out to watch our classes do their final performance of the song. It was so cute because you could tell that they were nervous to sing it in front of everyone but they did a wonderful job. 
Both of our Presby Classes getting ready to perform for the rest of the School.
The teachers from our Presby Classes

We had decided to do this because: 1) We were so proud of our classes that we wanted everyone to see the wonderful job that they had done. 2) The students from the other classes were always hanging around the doors and windows of our classrooms trying to see what we were doing, so we might as well show them. 3) One of the teachers was part of a teacher training and so she wasn't there the last day of our class and she wanted to see how well her class did with the entire song.
The Head Master Daniel saying Thank You


After their performance we went back to Zion and finished with out last class there and our final teaching of our group of twelve students. It was bittersweet, it is so nice to be done and see that the children did such a wonderful job learning all that we have taught them but at the same time I do not want to leave. It was so sad to be leaving, the children just chased us all the way home. They didn't want to say goodbye, it makes me so nervous to have to actually say goodbye in a couple of weeks. It is going to be so hard because I won't know if they understand that I am truly saying goodbye or if they think I am just saying goodbye for the time being. 

Final Day with Zion (KG-1 Class)

Final Day with our Zion Group of 12. We pulled out the markers for the last day hoping that they would last long enough for them to finish the activity pages.

Every since I have arrived in Ghana, I have seen some beautiful dresses and have wanted one made for me before I leave. While we were in Accra on Tuesday I finally had the opportunity to find some fabric for the dress. After wandering the streets full of people Joey and I saw a lady with some fabric. We searched through her pile to find one that we both liked and we bought it. Then when I got back to Abomosu we asked the Young Women President, Sister Boadu, if she would make the dress for me. I felt really dumb because I didn't know what I wanted so she pulled out some posters with different dress designs and Joey helped me pick one out. Then two days later I get a phone call telling me that my dress is done and that I can come and pick it up. Everyone was so pleased with it, I have received many compliments and I am so excited to wear it when I get home.
The Fabric we found in Accra

Couldn't be happier with the final product















The Final Product: My Ghanaian Dress



1 comment: