Thursday, March 25, 2010

Iganga, Uganda and the SEED program

I received the following yesterday:

Dear Joe,

I am pleased to inform you that you have been accepted as an intern for the SEED program in Africa this summer. You will be stationed in a village outside of Iganga in Uganda and you will be working with Ben Macey. You will be responsible for identifying microfinance opportunities and educating and assisting those capable of pursuing those opportunities.

The internship goes from May 17 – August 9. You will be responsible to get with Ben, coordinate your schedules, and book your flights so that you can fly together.

We are pleased to have you in this program and look forward to working with you!

Sincerely,

Kaitlin Stewart

SEED Administrative Assistant


So there you have it. And actually this was all a VERY big surprise to us. Two weeks ago my (Joey) professor talked about these SEED internships available in Africa. At that point Emily and I were pretty sure we were going to go to Pocatello, but I've always wanted to go to Africa, so I thought heck, I'll just turn in an application/resume. So I did and forgot about it. Then this past Monday, I got an email from the director of the SEED program (my professor) and he asked if I'd stop by for an interview. So I figured he was just going to interview everyone and then select someone. So I got to the interview and first thing I did was ask for more details about the program, and he gave me the details about the assignments (which took about 30 minutes). Then he ended somewhat abruptly by saying, "Okay, I'll send you an email tonight and let you know for sure." I was confused at this point, because I thought this was an interview, but he hadn't asked anything about me. So I walked out with the feeling that either I had pretty much already been selected, OR screwed something up and he was kicking me out of the office.

But the next day I got the above letter. So all of a sudden I'm going to be in Africa all summer long. I am stoked! This is a dream come true and a once in a lifetime opportunity maybe.

So....we are unsure about what Emily is doing, because I didn't know she could come with me, but I guess she can. So she is scrambling to find an orphanage there that she can teach at to count as her practicum. So she may be coming with me. So we'll let you know.

I am unsure about to many details of the area right now. I know they do have electricity (but it is intermittent). And the main village has some internet cafe's, so I can send home pictures. And they do speak English...sort of. It is British English and a little strange sounding with their accents.

I keep thinking it will be like "The Other Side of Heaven". In fact my professor, when he was doing the recap in our meeting said it like this, "So basically you fly into the capital city (Kampala)...there should be someone to pick you up at the airport...you'll find a bus going out to Igana...find a place to live...and start overseeing microloans....oh, and teach business classes 3 times a week."


4 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! I'm jealous of all your adventures! Be sure to post pics and such!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like such a great opportunity. I hope Emily can come along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOA. Another Livia. That freaked me out b/c I did NOT remember commenting earlier.

    Anyway, congrats on the opportunity :) I really hope Em finds a place to get her practicum done!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thats big news! Congrats that'll be a great experience for you both- glad to hear Em won't be left behind. :) Have fun getting all ur immunizations hehe.

    ReplyDelete