Thursday, November 26, 2009

John Jones

I wanted to write some things here before I forget them (because I am away from home and can not write them in my journal) and I want to share my thoughts.

I am almost 26 years old and up until today I have never grieved for anyone. I have been blessed to never have any relatives pass away unexpectedly or while I was old enough to understand. My father made me aware of this fact not too long ago. And so I knew there would be times ahead (sooner than later) where I would lose a loved one.

This morning I am grieving the loss of John Jones. Someone who I knew for only a couple of hours, but who is someone I feel very close to now. Even after his passing I have talked to him in case he can hear me.

I was part of 11 people who went to the Nutty Putty Cave on November 24th, 2009, just two days ago. I was invited by a great friend and old roommate, Josh Jones, to come along with he and a few family members. I have gone on several caving expeditions with Josh and thought it would be an enjoyable new cave to visit.

When we entered the cave Josh, John, Jessica (friend of Josh), and I went first, while two other adults and four teenagers followed behind. The cave is a geothermal hotspot and so it is very warm and moist in there. Because of this it was a little more difficult to breath, but also nice because it was around 30 degree Fahrenheit above ground.

The rest is hard to explain unless I can use my hands, but for simplicities sake: We had a map of the cave and got to a part where we couldn't find where it continued, so we each took a route that looked like it could be the right way. It is this part of the story that I keep recalling over and over in my head, because at this point I asked John if he wanted to explore the spot, which we later would learn is called the "Ed's Push" area. He went in to the spot face first because he was climbing up, but then it curved and started heading downwards, then it got too small for him to push himself backwards up against gravity, so he slid down further and became wedged. We didn't know he was stuck for several minutes. Jessica and I waited for Josh to get out of the hole he was exploring. When he did we told him (without much thought) to go in and see if John needed help, meanwhile Jessica and I explored two other spots where the cave could have continued. The rest of the group joined us at this point. We could not find where it continued, so sat waiting near the area. After about 15 minutes I hollered to Josh if things were okay. He came out in a mix of calm and panic and said he was going to go up and call for help and asked that I go in a comfort John and maybe try to help, because I was the only adult that would fit. So I crawled in above John (it was a very tight spot and I often would panic because it was difficult to move) and John and I tried several things to move him up. I did the best I could to keep him in good spirits by giving him little goals to reach. Mike, John's brother, was outside of the tight spot talking to me, which I much appreciated because it helped keep my spirits up. But after an hour I was becoming tired and scraped up and started to get psychologically messed up. I crawled out and Josh crawled in to see what he could do.
I crawled out of the cave and joined everyone else outside of the cave. They had all been gathered around the entrance praying and singing church hymns. The search and rescue vehicles started to show up and we decided we needed to get the teenagers home. And we felt there was nothing we could do but get in the way, so a group of us left, leaving Josh and Mike and another brother-in-law with John.

For the next 27 hours I followed the news closely and waited...

The
n at 2:36 a.m. I received a text from my friend Josh with the unexpected news that John had passed away.

Since then my thoughts have not turned from his family and the way they must be feeling.

I know that God knows best. I know that his family will be reunited with John. The passing of loved ones is part of Gods plan.

Thank you to all those who have been praying for the Jones' and for me.

I want to say one more thank you to one of the teenagers that came on the trip (I don't know which one). As I was leaving the site Tuesday night, before we knew what would ultimately happen, one of the teenagers in the van remarked "Well, we will have something to talk about on fast & testimony Sunday."

My testimony is more real then ever before. God lives and loves us. Thank you.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13864973


18 comments:

  1. Wow...very touching and just goes to show anything at anytime can happen to each and everyone of us very unexpectedely. Never take life for granted, it is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry! I don't even know the family and i have been thinking about them all day! I pray for them to find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sad! I was following the story and it really just breaks my heart. My prayers are with you and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,
    You don't know me. My name is Stephanie Waite. My husband had been telling me about this story and I searched for a blog by the family to send them a message of love and support. Yours was the only blog I found related to the incident. If you know the family's email and could send them this comment I would appreciate it.

    I just wanted to share my heartfelt sorrow with you all at the loss of your son, husband, brother, father, and friend. 18 months ago my daughter died in a tragic accident and I know how shocking and traumatic and overwhelming this unexpected grief can be. For me it felt like I was wading through vaseline trying to get through each day.

    But so many people reached out and supported me through this experience. I had mail from strangers for weeks. People sent packages, letters, emails, and tens of thousand came to my blog to leave comments of love and support.

    I wanted to pay it forward to you. I will be making a donation to the Memorial Fund at Wells Fargo tomorrow. I wish I could do more. My knowing heart aches for you. I will be praying that through the fog of grief you will be able to feel the presence of the angels that I am sure are surrounding you now. And that in time, when the fog starts to lift, that the healing power of the atonement will work a mighty miracle in your heart, as it has in mine, to heal it once more.

    Much love to you all,
    Stephanie Waite
    www.adailyscoop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. With all due respect: could you please explain further what you mean (and how it is possible) that "My testimony is more real then ever before. God lives and loves us."

    To be honest: I am also slightly offended by the teenager's whip that "Oh,well; it will give us something to talk about at F&T"

    I'm glad you made it out safely and were able to return to your family.

    Do you have any perspective as to why the family would agree to leaving the body in the cave?

    Thanks for writing your thoughts; I don't mean to be disrespectful or controversial. I also know you don't have to 'publish' my comment and it is fine with me if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe:

    Thanks for sharing your account of the painful tragedy. I have been compiling perspectives of the events since your arrival to the cave Tuesday evening. Your explanation answered so many of the questions I have had, and I was at the rescue site. Thank you for sharing and know that by doing so you have help others like me to heal.

    Michael Leavitt
    Nutty Putty Cave Access Manager
    www.NuttyPuttyCave.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen so much victim blaming, bad management, and gaslighting! You are 1000% responsible for the blood on your hands! I know the outcome didn't come out as you planned but that section of the cave should have been closed to the public AND it should have been placed on the maps! I served in a war as a combat medic and have a degree in psychology! And I don't give a crap if this comment remains because I've already blogged about this on my own website and placed the blame where it should go! John Jones made mistakes but he was absolutely gaslit about the safety and areas of the map! Imagine being lost looking at a map thinking you are in an area you are not! Rookie mistake but bad management and narcissism sealed his fate!

      www.PoeEternal.com

      Delete
  7. Joey, thank you for posting.

    I do not know John or his family, but I am still saddened to no end (tears rolling down my face). Somehow I find a little comfort in knowing that John was not being reckless, but was simply lost; somehow comforted in being able to make sense of the tragedy... Albeit even more heartbreaking knowing the details. My heart goes out to you and his family; such sadness.

    God bless,
    Carleen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joe, Thanks for responding to my questions.

    I had the teenagers comment completely out of context without having considered the vigil outside at the entrance of the cave. Who wouldn't be moved.

    Death is life (and testimony) affirming because it is part of the intended cycle. I was alone with my mother when she died, after she struggled through the night,and it was a spiritual experience I'm grateful for.

    You are welcome to delete my previous comment. I've been completely captivated by this 'story' and your blog has given me the only real connection with what happened.

    Thanks. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this post. We followed up on this incident as much as possible, as it was happening. I am very sorry for the loss of this family and the ordeal that you all must have gone through. So grateful for God's plan, and that the family will be reunited again some day!
    With love,
    -Val and Justin Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for posting these details of some of my brother, John's, last hours. The family welcomes you and everyone to post any and all of your stories, pictures, and condolences regarding John to the website we have established for these purposes: www.johnjonesmemorial.com. Emily (John's wife) hopes to gather as many stories and pictures as possible to share with her children about their dad. You can also make a donation to the memorial fund that has been established for Emily's family at the website. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. touching story. i'm so sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joe,

    I can't imagine how hard this must have been to experience. My thoughts are with you. I know that people on both sides of the cave closure issue can be insensitive at times, and that must also be painful.

    I don't know if you've been ever been able to get back on the horse and explore underground. If you're EVER interested in going caving again, I'd be happy to have you along on a trip. I don't see any reason that John's death would have to be a focal point of the group's conversation, or anything like that. You used to be (and still may be for all I know) a caver, and cavers are family.

    I don't take unmitigated risks, and I turn around without hesitation if anyone on my team wants to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a disgusting and selfish person you are. When he was stuck you just left because there were teenagers with you. You could have send teenagers with any of the adult. You claimed to be friend of Josh and still you weren't ready to be there in their hard time.. people like you don't deserve friendship.. you are disgusting and pathetic.

    ReplyDelete