Monday, October 24, 2011

About a month ago my friend Ryan reminded me that he had kayaked across Bear Lake last year and told me it was a lot of fun.  So then he said he wanted to kayak the length of this year.  This sounded adventurous to me, since I'd never really done any kayaking, so I told him I'd do it with him.  We decided to do it about 5 times but the weather would get bad the day before or one of us would be busy.  Finally this week we just decided we were going to do it.  I was a little worried the day before because it looked like it was going to be cold.  We had planned to start at 8am originally (it would have been 28 degrees!)  We drove up to the North Shore about 11am, and by 11:30am we were paddling away from the boat launch area.  (Thank you Emily for dropping us off.) 
It was sooo nice when we were starting.  We had picked the perfect day.

The lake was really glassy most of the day.  I am sure that made it a lot easier.  After about 2 hours my shoulders really started to ache, but Ryan told me that if you push through it you'll get numb, and luckily he was right.  We only had two problems the whole day.  Problem #1 - There was no way to go to the bathroom.  Problem #2 - My battery in my phone was dying and it was sending out a live feed of our GPS location and also recording the time and distance.  So we made pit stop into Ideal Beach where Emily, Ginger, Zailey, Zenick & Zaxton met us to give us a battery charging pack and we used the bathroom.  Then it was just 2 more hours to Rendezvous Beach.  We finished just in time.  It was getting dark, cold, and the lake was getting rough.

Anyway, that was my fun adventure for the summer.  Below is a time lapse of the first 2 hours or so (the battery died on the camera too...when you decide to do things last minute you miss details like charging cameras.)

We were excited to be done.  Compare this pic with the beginning pic.  The weather had changed a bunch.

1 comment: