Thursday, October 7, 2010

Chocolate, Castles, Cathedrals and Trains

We have been busy as Huntsman Scholars, but I have been learning a lot.  I believe I said this in my last post but I love Switzerland. 

On Tuesday we went to the Cailler Chocolate factory!  The best for me was a room with all the cocoa beans.  There was one bag from Ghana!  It made me so excited.  For all I know those could have been the cocoa beans I harvested while I was in Ghana.  Of course it was also wonderful to have all you can eat samples....which all the scholars got sick from eating too much.  Then everyone went out to the store and bought tons of chocolate to take home to share with friends and family...including me.  I spent about about CHF 40 (or $41).  All the Scholars together spent about CHF 558 ($580)!  Unbelievable.

Yesterday, we went to the IMD campus, a famous business school, and heard about the MBA programs.  Some of the scholars were impressed, others weren't.  I was impressed but I also felt no desire to do an MBA there.  I am trying to leave myself open to all kinds of possibilities, and I constantly ask myself 'what if I did this...' to just try and feel things out.  After the entertaining lecture we got to explore Lausanne.  We visited a beautiful cathedral and also a chateu (castle).  The cathedral was very quiet and reverent.  It was nice to have an opportunity to walk around and think without all the noise.  The chateu had so many levels to it, and so many intricate things.

All these experiences left me in a reflective mood last night and so once back to the hotel I sat out on the patio, overlooking the city of Leysin, and just thought about where my future could take me.  I reflected on the purpose statement I had created for myself and thought about ways I could get the most out of this trip.

My purpose statement:
"My purpose is to create as much value as I can in this world by serving God and following His will.  By being Christ-centered, selfless, humble and grateful I can accomplish the most good.  I must remember to remember and diligently be diligent."

While in Lausanne we got some crepes that were wonderful.  The man making the crepes was so fun.  He enjoyed talking to us.  I would think people like him might get tired of dealing with tourists, but he was fun to talk to.

So far so good.  I am looking forward to the rest of the trip.



Sweet tourist walking around.

A NEAT TRAIN YARD

I thought this was a neat rendition of Adam & Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment